When should I consult a personal injury lawyer?
If you’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence, you may have wondered, “When should I see a personal injury lawyer?” It’s a crucial question that can significantly affect your case and your ability to receive fair compensation for your losses.
Seeking legal advice after a New Jersey car accident, slip and fall, or other personal injury is the smartest decision you can make. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the importance of consulting with New Jersey injury attorneys who can help you navigate complex personal injury claims in the Garden State.
At New Jersey Injury Lawyers, P.C., we understand accident victims’ struggles and how an accident can affect their lives. We’re here to protect your rights and seek maximum compensation using our extensive knowledge of New Jersey personal injury laws. Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us put our legal experience to work for you.
What does a personal injury lawyer do?
A personal injury lawyer is a legal professional who has experience helping victims who have been hurt physically, emotionally, or mentally because of someone else’s negligence, wrongdoing, or intentional actions.
Personal injury cases include, but are not limited to:
Do I need a personal injury attorney in New Jersey?
If you have been in a serious accident that has left you with serious and life-changing injuries, you should contact a skilled lawyer in New Jersey as soon as possible. Insurance companies have a team of lawyers and other professionals review your claim right away. You need someone as skilled and aggressive as your opponent to represent your interests and level the playing field. Even though it may be hard to fully understand how important it is to take legal action while you are still getting better, acting quickly can greatly benefit your case.
Can I represent myself in a personal injury claim?
Each case is different, so hiring a lawyer is a personal choice. While a lawyer is not required, representing yourself can be risky. Entrusting this complex process to a professional ensures the best outcome and protects your interests. When your injuries have caused lifelong disabilities, this is crucial.
Insurance companies actively reduce or deny claims. Only a lawyer can defend your rights in such cases. Our New Jersey personal injury attorney understands the legal system and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve so you can focus on recovering and rebuilding your life.
When should I see a personal injury lawyer?
If you’re not sure whether it’s time to reach out to a personal injury lawyer, ask yourself these questions:
- Have you been seriously hurt because someone else was careless or negligent?
- Are you going to be disabled for life because someone else caused an accident?
- Do you need a lawyer to prove that the other party is at fault?
- Need assistance ensuring that multiple parties compensate you for your injuries?
- Your insurance company turned down your accident claim.
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, it’s time to reach out to a local personal injury lawyer.
Will a personal injury lawyer take my case?
If you are eligible to file a personal injury claim, chances are you can easily find a lawyer to represent you. In New Jersey, the main reason for filing a personal injury claim is to seek compensation for:
- Getting an injury that causes long-term hospitalization
- Getting an injury that requires extensive treatment
- Getting injured in the workplace
- Getting injured in a construction zone; and
- Filing on behalf of a loved one or companion who lost their life in the accident.
Aside from seeking compensation for your injuries, your lawyer may help you pursue damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress, and other things caused by your accident injury.
How do I choose a New Jersey personal injury lawyer?
If you believe it’s time to see a New Jersey personal injury lawyer, here’s a brief guide on how to choose your personal injury attorney.
- Seek referrals from friends, family, or other professionals. The first thing you need to do is find a lawyer who specializes in personal injury cases. You can do this by going online or asking for referrals from people you know. If you end up with a long list, you can narrow it by distance first.
- Look up the attorney or the law firm online. Once you have a list of firms and attorneys, do your research. Generally, you want to know if they are licensed to practice in your state and if they have brought great results for their past clients.
- Compile a list of questions to ask your attorney at the initial consultation. The last thing to do is book a consultation with the best personal injury attorney on your list. Before your scheduled appointment, make sure to compile a list of questions you want to ask about your case and about the attorney.
What questions should I ask my personal injury attorney?
While the idea of an initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer may appear intimidating, it is an opportunity for you to gather essential information that will aid in your decision-making process when selecting the right legal representation.
- How much is your attorney’s fee? Many personal injury lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t have to pay any upfront costs. Instead, they will receive a percentage of the compensation you receive as their fee. This arrangement ensures that they are motivated to work diligently on your behalf, as their payment is contingent upon your success.
- What is your track record of success in similar cases? This question allows you to gauge if your attorney has previously dealt with cases similar to yours. If they have successfully pursued compensation for similar claims, then you can trust that they know how to properly tackle your case and get you the compensation you deserve.
- What is your strategy to achieve the best possible outcome for my case? Your attorney should be capable of outlining their strategy for your specific case and clarifying your role in the claims process.
- What challenges and obstacles do you anticipate in my case? By asking this question, you give your lawyer a chance to explain any complicated parts of your case, discuss possible problems, and lay out their plans for how to solve them.
- How will you keep me updated on the status of my case? A reliable attorney will make sure you stay updated on everything happening in your claim. By asking this question, you can find out your attorney’s preferred method of communication and establish the level of involvement you have in the injury claims process.
When do I NOT need a personal injury lawyer?
A common misconception is that you always need to hire an attorney after an accident. This comes from not trusting insurance companies to pay for damages in a fair way. But this isn’t always the case, as insurance companies sometimes take care of and settle claims quickly.
Even though it is usually a good idea to talk to a lawyer, there are times when you might not need to hire one for a small claim. Here are a few situations in which you might not need a personal injury lawyer:
- If you are not eligible to file a personal injury claim, If you are seeking compensation for an injury that does not meet the legal criteria for a personal injury claim, you may not need to hire a personal injury lawyer. However, you can still do so to explore your legal options.
- If you have not sustained any injuries from the accident, You may not have grounds to seek compensation if there are no injuries or if the injuries are not related to the accident. An experienced personal injury attorney will advise you if it’s better to settle with the other party or take it to court.
- If you can settle the case in small claims court, It may not be worth it to hire an attorney if you are pursuing a case that could end up in small claims court. In small claims court, you have the right to a lawyer, but most law firms don’t offer a contingency-based scheme. Since you still have to pay your lawyer whether you win or not, it may not be worth seeking legal representation in such cases.
- If your insurance company is acting in a fair and reasonable way: If the insurance company is willing to settle your claim, you may not need a lawyer. But it is very important to make sure that the settlement offer is fair and doesn’t have any deceptive or hidden clauses.
When should I see a New Jersey personal injury lawyer? The answer is NOW!
The first and most important step in protecting your rights and pursuing fair compensation for your injuries and losses is knowing when to see a personal injury lawyer. New Jersey Injury Lawyers P.C. has extensive experience representing clients in personal injury cases and is sympathetic to the difficulties their clients face as a result of their injuries.
When you retain the services of our New Jersey personal injury lawyers, you gain access to a group with in-depth familiarity with the personal injury laws in New Jersey, years of experience negotiating with insurance companies, and a determination to protect your rights and interests. We are committed to assisting you with every aspect of your personal injury claim.
Our New Jersey personal injury firm also assists in: