Personal injury lawsuits in New Jersey
Personal injury lawsuits in New Jersey are complex, and it is advisable to consult an experienced lawyer who can help explain the entire process and guide you through each step. The following steps are involved in the process:
- Consulting with an injury attorney to determine if the accident that caused your injuries was not entirely your fault.
- The attorney investigates your case, which includes looking at all the details of the accident, interviewing witnesses, examining police reports, and researching similar cases.
- Forming a prognosis of your injuries involves describing the extent of your current injuries and giving a future prognosis of your ability to recover from those injuries.
- Determining a compensation amount, which is done after discussing your case with your attorney and agreeing on an appropriate amount based on experience and similar cases.
- Submitting a demand letter to all parties named in the injury claim, outlining the details of your case, the nature and extent of your injuries, current medical status, and the proposed compensation amount.
- Negotiating a settlement with the opposing party(ies) who can accept, decline, or make a counteroffer to the demand package.
- Filing a formal lawsuit if a settlement cannot be reached or if the offer was initially declined, followed by a discovery and mediation phase.
- Going to trial if a settlement is not reached even after mediation.
Although most personal injury claims are settled successfully outside of court, having a good lawyer can help you navigate the entire process to get the best result possible. Consult one of our experienced NJ injury lawyers to get the help you need.